Some further photo’s showing the extent of change on the Dungeness shingle beach, this time Dungeness Point in 1946. The most obvious change is the extent of superbly vegetated ridges where the power station is now.
There is also the present-day grid of tracks to the east coast which are the “beach feeding roads”. One of the consequences of building the power station on the eroding south-coast of Dungeness was the requirement to protect it from coastal erosion. As a result shingle washing around the coast has been extracted at this point and driven back to the west and dumped on the beach in an attempt to maintain the coast. A bit like the job of painting the Forth Road bridge – a continuous effort.
Out to sea there is an obvious white mark south of the power station, “The Patch”. This is a warm water outfall which proves to be a good spot to watch sea birds. Incidentally it is not mentioned on this website that this stretch of coast, to the the east of the power station is a good spot to watch porpoise, particularly in calm weather in July/August/September with counts of 20 or more animals recorded on the Dungeness Bird Observatory website in each of the past two summers.